2017-18 Invitation to Submit Research Project Proposals
We would like to invite you to work with us to design and execute research projects.
Who are We
The Hong Kong Research Institute of Textiles and Apparel (HKRITA) is an applied research centre funded by the Innovation and Technology Commission of the Hong Kong SAR Government.
Established in 2006, HKRITA’s mission is to support the economic development of Hong Kong by advances in applied research for the textiles and apparel industries.
What are we looking for
HKRITA has 4 technological focus areas. These include:
- New Materials and Textiles and Apparel Products;
- Advanced Textiles and Clothing Production Technologies;
- Innovative Design and Evaluation Technologies; and
- Enhanced Industrial Systems and Infrastructure
Under these areas of focus, our industry has these current interests:
- Sustainability – these include recycleability / renewability / traceability / low carbon;
- Competitive advantages for HK industries; and
- Advances and advantages for HK society.
Research Programme and Opportunities
There are two major research programs with HKRITA:
- Platform Research Programme – applications are open to universities, institutions, trade and industry associations. This requires support from at least one industry sponsor who contributes more than 10% of the total project cost. As a general observation, it is noted that the more the contribution, the stronger the industry has demonstrated its interest in the project and hence the greater potential for commercialization. Therefore, a project with a larger number of sponsors or higher level of industry sponsorship will be considered more favourably in the process of vetting.
- Collaborative Research Programme – applications are open to local companies who collaborate with a local public-funded research institute (e.g. a local university, the Hong Kong Productivity Council or the Clothing Industry Training Authority). This requires a cash or in-kind contribution of no less than 51% of the total project cost from the sponsoring company.
Sponsors of research projects, apart from the benefits of the projects, will also enjoy:
- 40% cash rebate on their cash and in-kind sponsorship for both Platform and Collaborative Projects.
- For Collaborative Projects, the ownership of the foreground IP will be granted to the industry partners.
- For Platform Projects, the sponsors will enjoy discounts on the license fees of the project deliverables.
Current priority is given to projects that have the following features:
- They solve practical problems and issues faced by our industry;
- They have high technical merits with deliverables which have potential for commercialisation ; and
- They involve experienced and highly rated key research personnel.
In assessing potential projects, we’re looking for new innovation and technology, plans for commercialisation, alignment with government policy, interests to our community and the opportunities for new IP.
If you have an idea or questions, please come to talk to us. We can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also find out more about us at our website www.hkrita.com. We are also on Facebook and Linkedin.
(Dr Ray Cheung)
Director, Research and Development